Translate The Content in Your Local Language

Tuesday 7 May 2013

After the struggles, sweet success : Bangalore

Sharanavasappa Patil, a resident of Chintamani taluk in Kolar district, had been eagerly waiting for the SSLC results. Sharanavasappa's son is one of the candidates who wrote the test in March this year. Though Sharanavasappa was confident his son would pass the examination with flying colours, his heart would skip a beat when he thought of the unthinkable - what if?

"My son, Shivananda S Patil, has been deaf and mute since birth. He wrote the SSLC examination is 2010, but could not clear it, because we didn't have teachers for deaf and dumb students in our area, and Shivanand could not prepare for the examination. I then decided to put him in the National Residential School for the Deaf. He was trained there for six to seven months," says Sharanavasappa, who never tires about talking of his son's desire to finish his schooling.

"He never gave up. He was determined to write his SSLC and clear it," says Sharanavasappa.

There are many like Shivananda, whose physical disabilities have never been a limiting factor. Overcoming every conceivable barrier and sporting a never-say-die attitude, they are the repeaters, who are physically disabled too.

TRY, TRY, TRY AGAIN


While Shivanand has done wonders, S Anitha never let her visual impairment block her path. Anitha, 17, a student of Sri Maruthi Prauda Shalaya in Kolar, was discouraged by her teacher. "One of my teachers asked my parents not to allow me to appear for SSLC again, as it would stress my eyes further. This was after I wrote the examination last year but could not clear it," says Anitha, who was determined to clear the examination this time. "I studied for around 10 hours every day to clear SSLC," recalls Anitha.

Mehbooby Rajasab Goggi, 18, from Kolar is another success story. Mehbooby suffers from a rare knee joint problem, which limits her movement. A student of the National Residential School for the Disabled in Kolar, Mehbooby appeared for SSLC in 2011, but could not clear it due to unavoidable family reasons. "My father died when I was in SSLC and my family's bad financial condition forced me to drop out. But I always wanted to complete SSLC so I could go ahead with studies in computers," says Mehbooby. She was back a year later.

Not so Bharathi KN of Kurgepalli in Srinivaspur taluk, who had to wait for 10 years to be mainstreamed. The 28-year-old suffered from mental development disability and could not clear SSLC in her first attempt in 2001. "I had to wait for 10 years to get back to my studies. But I knew I had to clear the examination this year," says Bharathi, who wants to pursue higher studies in computers.

Source : T.O.I , 7th May 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment