Translate The Content in Your Local Language

Thursday 22 August 2013

Blind school students miss family on Rakhi : RANCHI

Blind school students miss the love and pampering that home provides and more so during the festival of rakhi. It seems admission to a blind school has made their loved ones forget them even during the festival.


Puja Kumari has four brothers but she couldn't tie rakhi on their wrists on Rakshabandhan celebrated on Wednesday. Resident of blind school, Puja belongs to Katihar district in Bihar. She was admitted to St Michael's blind school by her parents a few years ago and since then she had been missing the festival. Now, the men in the blind school have become her brothers and she ties rakhi on their wrist every year.


"I think they are unable to visit me because our house is far from the school. It has been ages since I spoke to them over phone. I am very upset today as I could not tie rakhi on my brothers' wrists but have learnt to live with the truth. Now, all the boys in this school are my brothers and I tie rakhi on them every year," Puja said.


Twelve-year-old Rakhi Kumari, too, had nobody visiting her from home. Wiping a drop of tear from her eyes, she said, "I really miss celebrating all the festivals with my family. I have two brothers and they usually do not visit me but I was expecting them to come to see me at least for rakhi as I am their only sister. But they did not come."


Six-year-old Habil Murmu and seven-year-old Santosh Mahato are the youngest and favourite brothers in the blind school and they seemed happy with all the attention they were getting. But they could not get over the pain of staying away from their family on this occasion. Habil belongs to a poor family in Dumka and nobody had visited him on Rakshbandhan. He said, "Every year my elder sister used to tie me a rakhi and give me sweets. But ever since I came here I have not met her. The didis here tied me rakhi and gave me sweets but I missed my didi a lot."


Principal of the school, M T P Aggarwal, said there are many children whose families do not visit them and for such children donors are invited to the school. "Many children here have no one to visit them and they feel very lonely at times. Many donors come to school to give gifts and sweets to these children," the principal said.


Some children in the school do not like the donors' visits. A resident, who was tied a rakhi by one of the donors, said, "Every year new people come and tie me rakhi but they never come back the next year. We are treated like charity cases."
 

Source : TOI , 22nd August 2013

 

No comments:

Post a Comment