Translate The Content in Your Local Language

Friday 22 February 2013

Physically challenged autorickshaw driver becomes victim of Delhi gangrape outrage Read more at: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/physically-challenged-autorickshaw-driver-becomes-victim-of-delhi-gangrape-outrage/1/251074.html

A physically challenged autorickshaw driver last week became an unfortunate victim of protesters fury over the December 16 gangrape in Delhi .

Yashwant Rai (36), an autorickshaw driver whose right leg is amputated, had to sit at a police station till early morning last Friday even as his son bled profusely for lack of medical aid at home.


Autorickshaw driver Yashwant Rai
Autorickshaw driver who became victim of Delhi gangrape outrage





































Rai's only mistake was his refusal to take some protesters to Mayur Vihar from Jantar Mantar where they had gathered on Valentine's Day to pay respect to the gang rape victim.

Rai runs a rented autorickshaw to earn living for his family comprising two haemophilic sons and an ailing wife. Haemophilia is a hereditary disorder that impairs the body's ability to clot blood normally. "I have two sons, Munna (12) and Shantanu (5), both haemophilic. If my kids don't get timely blood transfusion, their bodies start bleeding. My wife called me at 10 pm on February 14 and said Shantanu was bleeding from his waist. I had to reach home fast to take him to hospital," said Rai. "I was at Patel Chowk Metro station near Jantar Mantar when two men asked me to drop them to Mayur Vihar. I told them that I had to rush my son to hospital and I can drop them to India Gate, but they started abusing me saying my fraternity was responsible for the rape and murder (of the paramedical student)," he said.

The rape victim and her friend had boarded the Whiteline bus on December 16 after autorickshaw drivers refused to take them to their destination.

The protesters called the police and registered a complaint against Rai. "The police challaned me and impounded my autorickshaw. I tried to explain my plight but no one was ready to listen. Till 2 am next day, I was at the police station. By the time I reached home, Shantanu's condition had deteriorated for worse," said Rai.

He rushed the child to Lok Nayak hospital where the doctors put him in intensive care. Fortunately for Rai, his son survived despite four to five hours delay in treatment. Doctors said Shantanu could have died or became paralytic waist down had there been any more delay in the treatment. He is still recuperating in the hospital.

"Life is onerous for me. As I don't have the right leg, it is very difficult for me to drive the auto rickshaw. Many a time, I don't even earn enough to provide food to my family," said Rai.


Source : India Today ( 21st feb 2013 ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment