Translate The Content in Your Local Language

Saturday 1 June 2013

Youth programme takes blind child to US this year : New Delhi

Ajit Singh, a visually challenged student, is gearing up to set his foot in the US after scoring well in the class 10 board exams.
He is the first differently abled student who has been selected under the Kennedy-Lugur Youth Exchange Study programme to the US for one academic year.

“Every year, some 40 students are selected for the exchange programme. But this year for the first time a physically challenged student has been selected. They will be sent abroad in August,” said an official.

Ajit, a student of Salwan Public School in Rajinder Nagar, scored 9.8 Cumulative Grade Point Average. He got a perfect 10 CGPA in Mathematics, Hindi, Social Science and Foundation of Information Technology and 9 in English.

“I am very excited about going to America. It is a dream come true. I have been preparing for the programme for over a year now,” the elated teenager told Deccan Herald.

But the journey has not been easy. “I have to undergo several interviews and one was at the American Embassy. I am happy that I got through,” adds Ajit.

He credits his younger sister for his success. “She used to read out from my study material. She has helped a lot,” he added. “Also, teachers at my school have been very supportive, especially my class teacher, who has always shown faith in me. Without their support it was never possible,” said the teenager.

“They used to give us time daily after school. And during the preparatory leave, they took extra classes, which helped us a lot.”

After school, he used to study for one to two hours daily. “During the exams I used to studied for around four to five hours daily,” he said.  

Principal, Sonia Anil Verma said, “Ajit is a very bright student. All the differently abled students in our school have again proved that with the right support, they can overcome all hindrances in life.”

Ajit had also won the All India Chess Competition in 2011. He is fond of poetry as well. “I write Hindi poetry. And during our annual function, Samman Diwas, I recited poetry,” he added.

He will return after a year and continue his studies in class 12. He wants to become an IAS officer. “So I have taken up Humanities,” Ajit added.

Source : Deccan Herald , 31st May 2013 

No comments:

Post a Comment