Translate The Content in Your Local Language

Saturday 1 June 2013

Everester Arunima keen to set up centre for disabled : Ranchi

Mountaineer Arunima Sinha, who became the first Indian amputee to scale Mt Everest even after being physically challenged early this month, plans to set up an academy for disabled people. The former national volleyball player who scaled the highest peak of the world early this month, was here on Friday.

The 26-year-old said when she lost her leg in April 2011 after beingthrown out of a running train, most people, including relatives, thought that everything was over.

Without revealing much about her future plans, the mountaineer said she had many things in mind and one of which was to set up a centre for physically challenged people. "Even when I was on the hospital bed with multiple injuriesall over my body, I was not depressed. I was not ready to accept defeat in life. The moment I recovered from the injuries and got the artificial leg, I got in touch with Bachendri Pal of Tata Steel Adventure Foundation. After a year's training under her guidance, I successfully scaled the highest peak of the world," said Sinha. The spiker had her leg amputated who had sustained injuries on the leg from where it was amputated after the accident.

Another mountaineer Susen Mahato, who not only trained Sinha but scaled the Everest with her, was all praise for her. "I have been training mountaineers for the past 13 years, but never thought of scaling any peak. The courage shown by Sinha motivated me to take up the task," said Mahato.

Referring to alleged indifferent attitude of the Volleyball Federation of India towards her rehabilitation, Sinha said, "I have nothing to say on this. It is for the organization to take a call." 
                                                                                                             Source : TOI , 1st June 2013 

No comments:

Post a Comment