Translate The Content in Your Local Language

Tuesday 25 June 2013

Amputee inspires with tale of grit, will

Emotions ran high at the felicitation ceremony of ArunimaSinha, the first woman amputee to climb Mount Everest, at Velammal Matriculation School on Monday.

The students listened in rapt attention as she recalled the accident in which she lost her left leg two years ago after she was pushed out of a running train by thieves. And then she described the life-and-death battle to climb the world's highest mountain.

"When you have a dream and it does not let you sleep until you fulfil it, then you know you are in the right direction," said Arunima as she motivated board examinations toppers who came to receive their awards. A shining example of how hard work rewards, the mountaineer said that from the second she lost her leg in the railway tracks till she hoisted the Indian flag on top of the Everest, determination helped her cross life's hurdles.

"At one point during the climb I saw several lifeless bodies of fellow mountaineers buried in the snow and it shook my resolve. But I wanted to reach the summit on their behalf and bring them peace in death," she said.

Arunima continued her journey even after warnings from her trainer that she was about to run out of oxygen and she could die. "When I was asked to return I could see the summit from where I was standing and I did not want to give up. Luckily when I made it to the top, I found an extra oxygen tank abandoned by a mountaineer," she said. "When I hoisted the Indian flag on the summit, I was literally on top of the world," said Arunima. The school presented a cheque for Rs 1 lakh in recognition of her achievement.

B Saravanan, an alumnus of the school who had secured the Indian Foreign Service Rank in the civil services exams was also present at the programme to motivate the students. "I come from a village near Erode and I am a first generation graduate. Hard work got me so far," said Saravanan. "Though I was in a well-paying IT job, the decision to quit and pursue my dream was the best decision I made," he added.

Students were visibly inspired. "Achievers like Arunima inspires you be an inspiration yourself," said V Aruna Mathangi, a Class 11 topper. 
    

Source : TOI , Chennai ; 25th June 2013 

No comments:

Post a Comment