Translate The Content in Your Local Language

Wednesday 10 July 2013

Stone-blind bike mechanic wows Trichy

We have heard about several visually-challenged people excelling in their spheres of activity, despite the handicap. Likewise, a 28-year-old fully blind man in Trichy stuns everyone by his extraordinary talent in repairing any branded motorbikes perfectly.


S Kannappan, a bachelor, is an inspiration for the people at Pandamangalam in Trichy city. They admire him for his passion to obtain knowledge and technical skills needed for his profession. Kannappan is not blind by birth. He lost his eyesight after a brain fever that afflicted him when he was four years. Nevertheless, he never lost his hope to find his own way to succeed in life and became a two-wheeler mechanic.
Born in a poor family, Kannappan now runs a small workshop at Pandamangalam road in Woraiyur in partnership with his childhood friend S Ramesh. "I can repair any branded bike. I sense the parts with my fingers and mend the problems. As I lost my eyesight at an early age, I can only visualise the bikes in my mind," says Kannappan who became a mechanic in 2000. He was initially trained by two mechanics Srini and Moorthy in the locality. Earlier, he honed his skills by repairing bicycles at home. That experience pushed him to become a two-wheeler mechanic. "I want to dedicate my life in this field. My father, brother and my sister-in-law always encourage me. I have no personal wishes in my life other than achieving success in my profession. I should provide good service to my customers," Kannappan proudly says.


His work is highly appreciated by his customers and the reputation earns him a lot of customers. A Durairaj, a sub-inspector of police, knows well Kannappan's talent. "I have been servicing my bike for the past seven years here. I never found fault in his work. Even normal people too commit mistakes sometimes. But Kannappan is extraordinary," he says.


Kannappan has his own ways to identify a mechanical problem. "He identifies the problem by hearing the sound of the bike. He is perfect at his work. If he is committed to complete a task, he fully involves himself in the work until he succeeds. By appreciating his talent, a leading motorcycle manufacturer dealer appointed him as a mechanic in Ramanathapuram. But he resigned and started his own workshop," his friend S Kesavan says.


Kannappan an ardent fan of cinema actor Rajnikanth wants to meet his idol once in his lifetime. "I never saw Rajni. But I became his fan by hearing his voice. If I have a chance to meet him, I would be elated," Kannappan says.

His friends want the government to help him financially so that he can grow in his career.



Source : TOI , Madurai ; Trichy : 7th July 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment