Translate The Content in Your Local Language

Sunday 10 May 2015

Deaf woman to appear at Tamil variety show

She is deaf and has never danced before an audience.
But on Aug 1, she will make her debut.
And there will be more than 1,000 people watching to cheer her on.
Dental technician Shoba Rosy, 42, who is hearing-impaired, will be one of the 40 dancers who will perform in a Tamil variety show, MGR the Legend II, at the Kallang Theatre on Aug 1.
The 3½-hour production is a tribute to Tamil movie icon Marudur Gopalamenon Ramachandran, better known as MGR.
The show is a sequel to an earlier one titled MGR the Legend, which was staged in December 2012.
Writing her answers down in an interview with The New Paper last Tuesday, she said: "I feel a little bit scared and nervous. I still make a few mistakes but I will continue to practise until the show."
She usually communicates through sign language.
DANCING
She will be dancing in a five-minute segment with the star of the show, MGR impersonator Lailathul Sultanil Arebeen Maideen, 51.
Known in local entertainment circles as Mr Sultan and recognised as the Singapore MGR, he has been mimicking his favourite star since he was in his early 20s.
Mr Sultan, a customer service engineer, is also the show's executive producer.
Miss Shoba, who is single, lost her hearing when she was six after a high fever.
She said: "Even though I can't hear any more, I can still feel the vibrations of the music and the beat."
Since early last month, Miss Shoba has been going to Mr Sultan's executive flat in Woodlands once a week after work for rehearsals. Each session lasts about an hour and they practise their routine in the living room.
Mr Sultan said: "To try to understand her better, I rehearsed with her, without playing any music.
"She watches my gestures and body language and moves accordingly. She is a very graceful dancer and a fast learner."
Deaf woman to appear at Tamil variety show
DANCER: Miss Shoba Rosy,who is deaf, will be dancing in Tamil variety show MGR The Legend II in August.


********************************************************************************************************

The father of five said he met Miss Shoba late last year at a Little India restaurant. She was with her friend, Mr Loganathan Ganesen, 46, who is in charge of the show's logistics.
Mr Sultan said: "I was struck by Shoba's beauty and felt she would make a perfect dancer in the show. At that time, I didn't know that she couldn't hear.
"I tried to speak to her, but she kept quiet, took out some paper and wrote a message, telling me about her condition.
"After that, I made up my mind. I wanted her on my show."
He decided to offer her a dancing role and was happy when she readily agreed to be part of the production.
In response, Miss Shoba smiled and stated that she felt the same way.
Then she wrote down: "Some people look down on me and call me 'mute'. I don't like that.
"Handicapped, blind, deaf and people who can hear well are all humans.
"I advise women like me to just follow their dreams and not be afraid to try new things."



Source: Asia One Women, 8th May 2015 

No comments:

Post a Comment