Translate The Content in Your Local Language

Thursday 20 June 2013

Differently-abled people deprived of allowance : Nepal

Fifty-year-old Dhuthar Mochi Bastipur VDC-8 in the district is surviving by begging ever since his hands and legs became immovable twenty-five years ago.

“I was living with my wife happily as a wage labourer. However, all my dreams shattered after I became disabled just one month after my marriage,” Mochi said.


To add to his suffering, his wife abandoned him as he was bed-ridden and his family also neglected him, forcing him to beg for sustenance.


“I became a disabled and my conjugal life also failed. I could have been cured had I received treatment in time,” he said. He lamented that he is deprived of the social security allowance provided by the government to the differently-abled people as he lacks an identity card.


Like Mochi, 40-year-old Surat Ram of Bastipur VDC-8 is also deprived of the allowance for want of the identity card given to the differently-abled people.


According to the Bastipur-based Disabled Rehabilitation Committee (DRC) and the Lahan-based Leprosy Sangati, there are 169 differently-abled people in the VDC. Among them, 13 are fully disabled .
However, only one out of the 13 people has received the identity card so far.


The government has been providing monthly allowance of Rs 1,000 to each of such fully differently-abled people.


The differently-abled said their compulsion to visit district headquarters for the allowance has made the
matter worse.

Shivaram Amat, the DRC chairman, said that differently-abled people are facing difficulties due to a lack of disabled -friendly infrastructure in the society.


Source : e Kantipur , 20th June 2013 

No comments:

Post a Comment