Translate The Content in Your Local Language

Thursday 6 June 2013

Climber Premalata salutes Arunima : Jamshedpur

Padamshree Premlata Agarwal, conqueror of the seven summits, is a role model for many. However, ever wondered who the ace mountaineer considered as her role model? Well, the secret is out. It's Arunima Sinha, who became the first Indian amputee to scale Mt Everest.

Premlata, 46, who is recognized as the first Indian woman to hoist the Tricolour on all the seven continental peaks, applauded Arunima, who is much younger to her, for becoming the first Indian amputee to climb Mt Everest.

"What she achieved is unbelievable. She didn't let her physical disability impede her journey to Mt Everest. I salute her," said Premlata showering praise on the former national volleyball player.

Premlata praised Arunima at a function organized to felicitate the senior mountaineer for conquering Alaska's McKinley Peak on May 23, this year.

"Although, I feel proud that I have successfully climbed all the seven continental top peaks, I feel equally glad when I see Arunima's achievement," said Premlata interacting with the TOI on the sidelines of her felicitation ceremony at a city hotel on Wednesday.

"The simple yet major difference between us (read Premlata) and Arunima is that I climbed the peaks as a normal mountaineer, while she climbed Mt Everest as a disabled girl. Yes, she is a role model for me also," said Premlata.

Apparently, unhappy with the discouraging response of the state government vis-a-vis her seven summits achievement, Premlata, accommodative as usual, said, "On individual level it (uninviting response of the state government) is not an issue, but certainly I wish promising mountaineers are accorded warm response as and when they accomplish any achievement in future."

Jamshedpur MP Ajay Kumar, who felicitated the spirited mountaineer, announced that he would request governor Syed Ahmed to organize a felicitation ceremony for Premlata.

When TOI asked Premlata what she wanted to do next, she said, "Soon I am going to get busy with my household chores in fact I have to prepare for the marriage ceremony of my second daughter and thereafter I will decide about my plans for doing something for the women in the mountaineering field."
 

Source : TOI , 6 June 2013  

No comments:

Post a Comment