Translate The Content in Your Local Language

Thursday 22 October 2015

Disabled cricketer bags man of the match title in tri-series




CricketerTaranpreetSingh at his residence in Ludhiana on Tuesday


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Physically-challenged cricket player Taranpreet Singh Randhawa, 27, has recently brought laurels to his hometown and the country by performing well at the international TKR CM Cricket Championship for handicapped, which was held in Hyderabad from October 2 to 7.

The team, Rising Star, for which Taranpreet played, did not only bag the runners-up title in the series for India, but Randhawa was even declared man of the match.

HT interacted with Singh, who is a resident of Harnam Nagar in Ludhiana, to know about his journey towards becoming a cricket player with a single arm.

Singh said, “I was born with one arm. But since my childhood, my elder brother Jaspreet, who is currently settled in Canada, used to inspire me to play cricket. So, I decided it that I will become a cricketer and set an example for the youths, who were falling in the net of drug addiction.”

“I was a physically-challenged boy, who was unable to lift the bat at the age six, when I started playing cricket. To represent my country in an international cricket tri series was a proud moment for me,” he said.
“It was very difficult to play cricket with one hand initially. But, I was very ambitious and put very possible effort to excel in my game. I got training under my school coach Amrik Singh Nagra at Baba Isher Singh Public School,” Randhawa said.

“I am currently associated with Chandigarh-based NGO Rising Star,” he said.
Singh booked his place in the national squad for the disabled by performed with good figure in tri-series match played between India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.

Randhawa said “Large number of youth in Punjab is addicted to drugs. They should instead put their energy in sports, as there are a very few players from Punjab who have achieved good positions in sports.”

Singh said, “Government should affiliate these handicapped cricket clubs to BCCI, so that physically-challenged youth come forward and play with good inspiration. Many other countries have also given affiliation to such players in the game. This will help encourage youth.”

Taranpreet’s coach Amrik Singh Nagra said, “Taranpreet is very ambitious and dedicated from the beginning. He always plays with a lot more energy than a regular player. I wish he succeeds and reaches heights in the game.”



Source : Hindustan Times , 21st October 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment